Wednesday 14 September 2011

Research- Defining genre

I initially didn't have a clear idea of what the genre f the music video was, this meant I had some difficulty finding videos to analyse for genre conventions, however after playing the track to my brother he suggested they sounded slightly like nirvana. so I had a basis to start from, the first video I looked at was this track




In this video I noticed a lot of techniques which could be interesting to use, such as the use of depth of field on Kurt Cobain's face also what stood out straight away was the colour change of the background throughout the video, a technique which is also seen in this video


10 Years - Shoot It Out found on Rock

though the second video is slightly away from the genre of the song I am using I think the technique could be an interesting one to utilize, though some thought will have to go into how to use it without seeming it "tacky"

From this start I decided to look into Alternative rock as the genre for my piece, the style of the song may stray slightly more towards conventional "Rock" however this is such a broad term which encompasses so many diverse sub-genres that identifying conventions would be near impossible due to the huge differences between those sub-genres for example the tropes of Industrial rock would be hugely different to those seen in say Country-rock, I will however be relating to rock videos which match the style of the song.

From the beginnings of my research I have begun to Identify some of the key conventions of the genre such as usually long shots are used showing the whole band rather than just one person(the singer), this shows that within the genre the focus is on creating the Band as the product to sell rather than the emphasis being on an individual.

By choosing Alternative Rock as a genre, it allowed me to use a wide variety of different styles from the many sub-genres that name entails, this means I can create a piece which is not only representative of the genre by incorporating the conventions and trends seen across the entire spectrum of videos, but also to create a somewhat original piece by utilizing the variety seen within the same genre.



No comments:

Post a Comment