Thursday 15 September 2011

Research- Examining Genre Techniques

Colourisation/Colour levels

Whilst looking further into music videos I started thinking about the kind of techniques used that would be relevant for my track. going by the feel of the song I felt that an almost washed out colour pallet would be appropriate, such as is seen in this video from the Alternative Rock band Placebo.


The blue colourisation in this video helps to enhance the moody feel of the song and I think this would be suitable for my piece. this type of colouring is also shown in the video Seize the day by Avenged Sevenfold.


My plan so far is to have a selection of different locations ( most likely 3) and to inter-cut between them, so the use of colourisation would most likely be limited to one of those locations. this would work to give each location a clear distinction which separates it from the others which should give the video a greater amount of variety, which in turn should help to keep it engaging for the audience. the use of differing colour balances can be seen also in the previously mentioned avenged sevenfold video.



Depth of field

Another technique I noticed used sparingly in the avenged sevenfold, video but heavily in the Placebo and other videos I found was the use of depth of field to single out the singer or a specific action, this technique seemed to be repeated through many videos including the Nirvana video from the previous post and in this Video from the All-american Rejects.

The All American Rejects - The Wind Blows - from Rich Lee on Vimeo.

I decide I would use this technique in my video as it would add an interesting element to the video and also tie in with the conventions of the genre.


No comments:

Post a Comment